Consumers Energy Foundation GrantStart the Application Visit Grantor's Website
Grants of up to $10,000 to Michigan nonprofit organizations in eligible locations for innovative projects and capital funding. Funding is intended to support programs in the areas of education, social welfare, civic and cultural development, community, and the environment. Programs should serve the Lower Peninsula area where Consumers Energy has a business presence.
The Foundation will consider requests from qualified organizations to support operating budgets and capital fund programs for the construction, refurbishment or purchase of buildings, structures, equipment or physical enhancements.
Funding is primarily focused on communities in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula where Consumers Energy has a business presence. The Foundation will consider requests from organizations located elsewhere for programs or projects that significantly benefit the state and the communities served by Consumers Energy.
The most important criteria for consideration is alignment with the key focus areas, having a 501(c)(3) status, and being located in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Normally, the Foundation will not contribute to endowments.
There are legal and practical limits to what the Foundation supports. For example, the Foundation does not purchase tickets or make payments to events or celebrations to raise funds for charitable purposes, nor does it sponsor advertising supporting these efforts.
What follows is a list of requests that fall outside of the Foundation’s scope:
- Individual scholarships
- Individual sponsorships related to fundraising
- Organizations that do not qualify as charitable organizations as defined by the Internal Revenue Service
- Organizations that practice discrimination on the basis of sex, age, height, weight, marital status, race, religion, sexual orientation, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, handicap or veteran status
- Political organizations and political campaigns
- Religious organizations when the contribution will be used for denominational or sectarian purposes
- Labor or veterans organizations
- Fraternal orders
- Social clubs
- Debt-reduction campaigns
- Sports tournaments
- Talent or beauty contests
- Loans for small business